How works were planned and delivered on time
This was a challenging project due to the additional structural works identified during the initial project surveys as well as additional FRA works that were required. Covid-19 then added additional programme stress due to works being carried out to occupied premises.
Agreed extensions of time and adjustments to the programme were made to suit the requirements of residents and the needs of the Contract Administrator.
The experience of our site delivery team in conjunction with that of our contract, commercial and procurement teams helped to ensure that we met the revised programme, expected quality and revised budgets set and agreed by the Client.
We proactively managed the programme by looking ahead planning of all resources and deliverables. By doing this rather than reacting to programme slippage we created more time for anticipating the problems. We originally included a small initial float within the programme for unplanned issues such as weather.
Our effective Covid-19 protocols were established and working practices put in place during the works. This ensured we had the tools to react and mitigate contract slippage.
We identified tasks and responsibilities that were on the critical path so we prioritised these works.
By using the project risk register we were able to prioritise the risks that we faced and allow for expedient mitigation measures to be put in place.
How customers were engaged and communicated with
The works were project managed to ensure detailed, honest, and transparent communications with the residents and other stakeholders. We listened and incorporate feedback to enable the least disruptive and most efficient means to programme the project works. We used varied methods of interacting in addition to regular meetings including, where Covid protocol allowed
Whilst the works were carried out the Site Manager visited each property daily to monitor progress of works and ensure quality of workmanship. A check was carried out at the end of each working day to ensure the property was clean and secure.
When works were completed, the Site Manager and/or foreman conducted a snagging visit, this helped us achieve ‘right first time’. The resident was involved with the snagging visit, giving them an opportunity to raise any issues and overall ensuring that they were satisfied with the works carried out.
How diverse customer needs were met
Hiring bilingual or diverse employees who not only speak some other language but also have unique insights into different cultures and beliefs helped us create an improved customer experience.
Value for money achieved for the client
We agreed not to charge the client any additional prelims for the extensions of time on the project caused by the additional works and by Covid.
Improvements in KPI performance
Our KPIs improved on the project as we managed more intensive communication with the residents of the blocks, especially towards the end when Covid protocols were put in place. Residents were extremely pleased with all the additional safety measures and contact arrangements that were put in place during this period.
Positive social value outcomes
We were able to take on a trainee RLO from the estate during this project and they are now a full-time employee. We also managed to do some estate planting and gardening works to an overgrown section of the estate gardens.
How IT was used to integrate with the client system and add value to the service
All KPIS were completed on the client’s IT system by our RLO.
All asset improvement works, new kitchens, bathrooms etc. were provided in an excel spreadsheet in the agreed client format to be uploaded to the client’s IT system.
Key challenge and how it was approached and managed
The key challenge on this project was the identification of structural and FRA works that had not been specified by the client but that were required in order to complete a successful project. We had to manage the resident’s expectations of completion dates and project duration with improved communications, newsletters and coffee mornings. By completing all of the additional surveys early in the programme and by giving an updated realistic programme, we were able to keep resident satisfaction levels high.