Elkins is committed to offering apprenticeships and training opportunities to local residents, including those from socially excluded groups and people not in education. Where we are unable to offer direct employment or an apprenticeship, we will liaise with our supply chain and sub-contractors to agree placements. This is a system that has seen many success stories. Over 95% of apprentices and trainees have gone into long-term employment with Elkins or our suppliers.
We offer apprenticeships in the following areas:
- Resident liaison
- Site management
- Contracts management
- Multi trade
Our work experience programme provides two-week placements to those who are currently studying in a trade-related subject or interested in working in the construction industry.
We offer work experience placements in:
- Multi trade
Who we work with
- Local communities. We offer vacancies directly to residents on the estates we’re working on through events, monthly newsletters and residents’ meetings.
- Schools, colleges and job centres. We attend careers events, run mock interviews, CV workshops and training exercises for students and those seeking employment in the construction industry.
- Local recruitment partners. We work closely with local recruitment partners to ensure our apprenticeship and training opportunities are offered to those from socially-excluded groups.
If you are an organisation working to connect people with apprenticeships or work experience opportunities in the construction industry please email [email protected]
Supporting local suppliers and SMEs
We put great emphasis on using local labour and sub-contractors and our management team and site managers are encouraged to actively source local enterprises. This helps regenerate the local area whilst reducing environmental impact. Over 60% of our tradespeople, suppliers and sub-contractors are based within London’s most disadvantaged boroughs. We ensure smaller businesses and sole traders seeking opportunities to distinguish themselves are given the chance to join our preferred contractor list. We help them to complete PQQs and give guidance if they need to improve on issues such as health and safety and insurances.
Our pledges and commitments
As a family business, Elkins has always promoted and sourced talent direct from local communities. We have committed to a number of initiatives helping to open up more opportunities in the construction industry to a wider range of local people:
- Mayor’s Fund For London’s Firm Foundations. We have pledged to partner with organisations that work with young people from lower socio-economic backgrounds to help drive diversity and inclusion within the business.
- Care Leaver Covenant. As a signatory, we offer workshops and training, apprenticeships and work experience placements – enhancing opportunities for some of the UK’s most vulnerable young people.
- Social Mobility Pledge. By taking the pledge, we have committed to supporting those from disadvantaged backgrounds or circumstances, providing skills sessions, practical workshops and careers advice, and offering apprenticeships, work experience and recruitment opportunities to level the playing field and boost social mobility.
One of our primary goals is to give back to local communities. We do this, not only through our social responsibility policy and procedures, but also through sponsorship and support of charities and organisations providing a multitude of services to local people. This includes COLA Southwark Pride basketball team, which we have sponsored for over ten years. We have also locally supported UK Homes 4 Heroes, Studio 3 Arts, Shine, Freddie Farmer Foundation, Edible Rotherhithe, Link Age Southwark and Pecan.